Home




Beauty Buys and Finds in August
Thursday, August 29, 2013 |Comment(s)

Fredfredtan says...

So sorry for the lack of posts these days. I was so busy with my work with all the research and meetings that I am left with no time to do a proper post. Now that my 1-month induction is over, I will be be seeing even busier days ahead! But I will still try to blog as much as I can. :D 

So, I was at Sephora Bugis the other day and saw this...


 A Make-up collection by NYX inspired by The Mortal Instruments City of Bones. 

The NYX Parallel Worlds Box is Dark, Mysterious and Dangerous. Venture into this new collection inspired by the Mortal Instruments. Includes a 6 colour smokey palette, the perfect pink, a neutral pink matte lip cream, black liquid liner, a vibrant jumbo eye pencil, and volumizing mascara. Everything you need to create an innocent day look inspired by Clary or a sultry night look inspired by Isabel..


The item inside the bag! There are 6 items in total for 39SGD and because I bought it on the launch day, I also received a movie pass for 2 to catch The City of Bones at Shaw. If you are getting it now, you can get this kit at a discount if you produce a movie tab from Shaw. I'm not sure if the movie is limited to City of Bones only though. 


A better look of what is in the box! There is a look book that teaches you how to use the kit for both day and night look. Pretty useful. Out of the 6 items in the kit, I have only used 3 of the products thus far - Smokey Shadow Palette, the Soft Matte Lip Cream as well as the Jumbo Eye Pencil. And I'm really loving them!

The soft matte lip cream, in my opinion, is the bomb! I don't really like shiny lips from using lipstick, because it makes my lips look oily and somewhat tacky? But the matte lip cream leaves a very clean finish that doesn't leave my lips dry. It looks more like a tint after a while. And the cream is really easy to apply on, it glides and doesn't get stuck mid-application. I am considering getting more colours from Sephora from the Soft Matte Lip Cream series. The colour in the kit is more pastel pinkish, which is something I have never tried on before, but it turns out rather well. Probably due to my fair skin. (no pics of me with the lippie because I always have puffy face in the morning. Boo)

I really like the Jumbo Eye Pencil! It is in the colour Cashmere and the colour comes off really nicely. Plus it also glides smoothly on my lids. No tugging or pulling. And the colour stayed on for the whole day too! I am actually using similar products- Etude Bling Bling Eye Stick


I have the No. 5 Silver Milky Way and the No. 6 Big Bear Star. I really like the colours, but the holding power of them isn't as great as the NYX jumbo pencil. Which is a pity because they are equally easy to use and glides over your lids really smoothly, leaving a rich colour on your lids.

However, there is a new range from Etude House that caught my eye and I may go get them to try!


Moving on, my favourite item from the NYX make up kit is the Smokey Shadow Palette!


I really like the sand and purple in this palette and I use the white for highlighting sometimes. I like how the colours will come out a bit lighter so I have more control of how much colours I want on my lids. Plus, I think with 6 colours, I could mix and match them to have many different variations and experiment them on my lids. :D But then, I don't like how there will be "debris" of the colours on the colour palettes after usage. It makes me feel that I am wasting more than I am using because the "debris" do not stick well on the the brush and on my lids and will not spread out as smoothly. So though I really really like this item as I feel that it is really value for money for 6 colours, I actually think that if you are someone who loves only certain eye shadow colours, don't bother getting this. (Unless you are getting the kit!)

And I managed to catch the Watsons Sale the other day, and gotten my hands on 2 products that I have been eyeing for a long time!


The Dream Liquid Mousse and Dream Matte Powder. 

Okay, I only realize it now that my picture is blurry. Boo! So sorry about this! But with the Watson sales, these items were going at 20% discount, and a further 5% for members. I wasn't a member, but I got them at Changi Airport, which means I don't have to pay the 7% GST. Too bad I couldn't use B's Staff Pass to get further discount! But Nonetheless, they were really great products! 


So here is how the showcase display is like in Watsons. They cost $50.80 before discount, but after the 20% + 7% GST rebate, they cost me about $37.80 dollars! A cost saving of  $13 dollars! I am using Sand Beige for the Dream Liquid and Sand for the Dream Matte Powder. I didn't get the Dream Matte Mousse, as I didn't like the texture of it, which was rather pastey.  

Why do I love them? 

For the Dream Liquid Mousse, I love the fact that it blends in so well with my skin, that it leaves a very light feel on my face, while keeping me looking flawless. Plus I love the fact that it is non-comedogenic, which means it will not clog up my pores causing an outbreak. This is very important, as the bacteria that causes acne thrive in anaerobic condition (with no oxygen), so when your pores are clog, it creates the ideal condition for the bacteria to grow and cause an outbreak. However, the downside is that, unlike a BB cream which offers Sunblock properties, this product will only give you coverage. So remember to put on Sunblock lotion as UV rays can accelerate aging!

For the Dream Matte Powder, it also feels really light on my face and a smooth natural finish. And the colour match my skin tone really well, unlike my old powder that leaves me look so white-washed and pale that I look more like a Geisha. (I guess I probably bought the wrong colour for my old powder, so I will not name the product! :D) Plus, it helps to set my liquid foundation which in turns allow my make-up to stay on longer. 

My good friend Aik Kun was equally impressed with them and has gotten them too during the sale! I would totally recommend anyone who is looking for foundation to get the Dream series. I love the fact that I look really natural with the makeup on. My colleague didn't even realize I have any on my face! 

And my very sweet friend, Mush, gave me a gift to celebrate the fact that I got employed!


 Missha Moist 24 Hand Cream made from Argan Oil.

Mush actually tricked me when she was buying it. Prior to giving me this, she kept telling me that she wanted to get body moisturizer and a hand cream. But it is actually quite unusual of her because she doesn't like to put any on her body and more so on her hands because she doesn't like the sticky finishing (even when there really isn't any.) However, I dismiss it after she gotten this body cream from Sephora and was really excited about it because she said that it can helped in achieving really good skin. Plus, she was raving about this friend, who kept using moisturizer all over and had like flawless skin. 

Then she said she wanted to go to the Missha store to look for hand cream. So I really thought that it was for her whole "flawless skin regime", especially since she had already gotten a whole load of items from Sephora and the L'oreal Youth Code Boosting Essence as well. She asked me which was better and tried on my hands to see the finishing. I even told her that the one she was getting was more worth it in terms of volume and price to the smaller bottle that was costlier due to the cuter packaging. She was rather please with the buy and we went on to window shop. Then she started to write frantically in the little card with the moustache icon. I didn't think much because she always does these sort of things. Then upon finishing, she attached it to the hand cream and gave them to me. Imagine how surprised and cheated I felt! Haha, but nonetheless, really touched! She said that she wanted to get hand cream because I would be working in a dry air-conditioned office, and that because I always use hand creams, she thought it was the most appropriate gift. <3 Really love her so much, my crazy sweet BFF Mush! (I actually bought her a Mushroom shape bottle with sweets in Mushroom shape! HAHA She is going to kill me)

This marks the end of my post. Wanted to blog about my first Black Box, but I think, that should be left to the next post. Stay cheery and healthy people! TGIF. :D











Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,


Older | Newer